How To Do Spiral Curls For Locs
People assume that loc wearers are restricted when it comes to styling options, which is totally untrue! While large locs can be difficult to bend and style, small to medium sized locs actually give you a plethora of choices. One of my favorite styles to see on loc rockers is spiral curls (also called pipe cleaner curls.) I find this style to be so romantic, fun, and feminine. It’s perfect for special occasions, date night, holidays, and any other reason you get inspired to try it. Check out Shawna’s video on pipe cleaner curls followed by super easy instructions.
Things you will need:
How to get the look:
1. Start by prepping the pipe cleaners. Bend one end of the pipe cleaner around your finger and
twist to secure a loop (also called a finger hole.) Do this to all the pipe cleaners or as many as you will need for your locs. To make sturdier rollers, twist two pipe cleaners together before doing the finger loop.
2. This style works best when done on clean wet hair so begin by washing your hair. If your hair is already clean but not wet, get a spray bottle and spray each loc with water before rolling it. Some people use a water based liquid setting lotion, but if you choose to do this be careful that the product doesn’t weigh your locs down or leave build up.
3. Taking one loc at a time (If you have very small locs you can do more than one at a time), place the loc on the pipe cleaner next to the finger hole. Begin to roll the loc around the pipe cleaner working your way up toward the free end.
4. Roll the entire length of the loc around the pipe cleaner, right up to the scalp. When you reach the scalp, take the remaining free end of the pipe cleaner and bend it down over the loc to secure it.
5. Repeat until your entire head is done. Leave the pipe cleaners in until hair is completely dry, usually over night. Taking them out while damp will leave you with limp locs that are not fully curled.
6. To remove, simply unbend the pipe cleaners one at a time, then slide or wiggle them out of the locs. Do not unravel your locs! Sliding the pipe cleaners out instead of unraveling helps keeps the curl intact.
No related photos.