December seems like the perfect month for all things peppermint and candy cane related, even hair mask! Although the holiday season is my inspiration for this post, peppermint oil has a multitude of benefits for natural hair and can be incorporated into your hair regimen at anytime of year.
Peppermint oil has regenerative and stimulating properties that encourage hair growth while improving hair health. It’s a great antiseptic and has a natural cooling effect that soothes dry, itchy and flaky scalps.
How To Get Your Peppermint Pleasure
There are several ways to enjoy the benefits of peppermint oil for hair, not to mention the added perk of getting a built-in aroma therapy treatment. But moms-to-be take note, if you’re carrying a bun in the oven doctors advise you hold off on your peppermint pleasure until after giving birth.
Peppermint Shampoo & Conditioner
This is probably the easiest way to use peppermint oil in your routine, especially if you’re looking to do it on a daily or weekly basis. It doesn’t matter if you’re a shampoo lover or a co-wash queen. Just add a few drops to the amount of cleanser you need for one wash. Alternately, you can add 12 oz of peppermint essential oil to 16 oz of unscented shampoo or conditioner.
Peppermint Essential Oil & Hot Oil
To rejuvenate, moisturize and refresh your hair and scalp, combine peppermint essential oil with a natural oil like jojoba, coconut or olive oil. These oils are known for their ability to nourish, moisturize and restore hair. This powerful oil treatment will invigorate your scalp, strengthen your strands and give your hair shine.
- Take three tablespoons of jojoba, coconut or olive oil (use more or less depending on hair length and thickness)
- Add four drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Combine the oils in ziplock bag or small glass jar then seal it. Place the bag or jar into a bowl of freshly boiled water. Let sit for 10 minutes or until oil is hot but comfortable to use.
- Finger comb the treatment through damp or wet hair coating all strands evenly. Cover with plastic cap and wrap in a warm towel for 20 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly and shampoo as normal.
No related photos.